Monday, January 5, 2015

Getting Ready for Spring

Hello friends!

The garden really took a hit with the below freezing temperatures we had in our area. I wasn't expecting them, and definitely wasn't ready for them. As a result the watermelon, peppers, and eggplant I was going to attempt to over-winter all died off....


But, that just means room for new plants! I've had fantastic results with squash, eggplant, and various herbs through the warmer months. So that's going to be what I stick with for the spring and summer garden. We have white marrow squash, black beauty zucchini, casper eggplant, black beauty eggplant, white wonder cucumber, straight eight cucumber and various herbs.

Each variety of eggplant and squash will have a 3 ft x 6 ft growing area. That'll probably end up being 6 of each. I have another bed that is the same size that will be dedicated to herbs. Right now I have almost 20 basil plants of 6 varieties, thyme, and rosemary ready for that one. I'll probably try out some more herbs such as sage, dill, and whatever else I scrounge up from my seed bank.

I've also decided to experiment, and direct sow some zucchini and squash into their bed waaaay early.  It seems to me that whenever squash seeds start under stressful conditions, they end up being way more productive in their later stages. We'll see how that goes.... I will keep you posted with weekly updates!

Seedling tray with the spring plants
Using plastic cups to help capture heat and keep the seed(lings) warm
Basil with first signs of true leaves
Squash with true leaves starting to form
Furry roots growing out of the starter pod
Eggplant seeding
Eggplant seedling


No comments:

Post a Comment