Sunday, February 1, 2015

Garden update! 02/01/2015

Hello friends!

Well, it was eventful week... and not all in a good way. I ended up finding more of those leaf miners on the basil seedlings, and eggs on my fennel plants. Instead of fighting this losing battle, I decided to remove all of my hydroponic plants.


While the closet was empty, I removed all of the plastic lining the wall and installed new sheets of it. I also boiled all of my hydroton, net pots, air lines, and air stones. The bins were cleaned out with bleach and then super hot water. And the before planting new seeds, I moistened the rock wool and microwaved it for 30 seconds. Hopefully this will be enough to prevent this stupid little bugs from coming back.

Although, I must admit, I am excited about a 'fresh start' in my hydroponic setup. I'm going to be growing an orange habanero pepper, purple bell peppers, cayenne pepper, Fresno chili, poblano pepper, fenugreek, rosemary, thyme, arugula, Swiss chard, Genovese basil, dark opal basil, and red velvet basil. Crossing my fingers that everything goes better this round!

Outdoors, after a couple of heavy rains, my white marrow squash seeds finally started sprouting. I ended up removing 3 seedling plants where seeds had sprouted, because this variety always does better when directly sown. I removed all of the cauliflower and planted casper eggplant in its place. I'm also very excited to see a cabbage head forming, and broccoli florets forming up nicely!++
Cilantro ready for harvest
And it looks very tasty after a good rain
White marrow squash sprouting up
Broccoli floret forming up
Some kind of hybrid basil - Thought it died after a frost but it's growing back (very, very resilient plant... I'll be collecting seeds from it for the future)

No comments:

Post a Comment